Friday, October 17, 2008

First Meal (more like a snack)






Yesterday was a good day for Weston. From morning to evening, he went from breathing 65% oxygen to 43% oxygen. They also decreased the pressure that the ventilator provides him. The x-rays yesterday showed no more air pockets in the body and a small part of the lung that was not fully inflated looks much better as well. They also weaned him off of the dopamine that they had been giving for his blood pressure.

But the most exciting part was that the doctor said it was time for him to try some actual food. Until then, Weston had been receiving "baby Gatorade" (or Powerade if you are not from Gainesville) through an IV for all his nutrition. Now, he is getting 5mL of breastmilk every few hours, through a tube that goes down his throat into his stomach. As he tolerates these small feeds, they will keep increasing them and decreasing his Gatorade. Feeding is a key requirement for coming home, so we hope he adapts to it well! That's mommy's first "feeding" - holding up the tube for the milk to drain in - not exactly what I imagined feeding baby for the first time would be like.




Also, I will tell him when I see him this morning that the Seminoles beat the Wolfpack last night. I'm sure that will boost his spirits even more.

No comments: