Sunday, November 27, 2011

Big Boy Bed

The anti-crib.

We knew this day would come sooner or later. We had always thought that the trigger for switching to the big boy bed would be when Weston figured out how to escape. Once the cage no longer could contain the beast, we'd set him free, as it were.

But the beast seemed disinterested in escaping. Contrary to all other evidence, the beast was not so wild as to reject his crate-like abode. We waited for that fateful morning when he would appear in our bedroom having figured out how to extricate himself from his bedtime confines. But it never came. On occasion I literally would try to teach him how to climb out of a crib. I'd show him how to pile up his blankets and stuffed animals in the corner to stand on... then how to brace himself as he swung the first leg over... and then the second.

Why would I try to teach my kid how to climb out of his crib, you ask? Is it because I'm crazy? Crazy awesome. I'm trying to teach my son important life skills. But truthfully, he was never really interested in making a prison break. And no attempt was ever made.

And so we were content to keep using the crib. Until this afternoon...

Upon waking from his afternoon nap, he announces to Stefanie that he now wanted a big boy bed. Naturally, we had never thought to ask him. So with a quick turn of the Allen wrench, we converted his crib into a big boy bed, much to Weston's joy.

I was puzzled by this unexpected turn of events, so I asked him, "Hey, how do you know about big boy beds?" Weston's response: "Well, they're perfect for lying down."

No comments: